With a heritage dating back to 1885, when our doors originally opened as F. Stansfield Watchmaker & Goldsmiths, Robert Openshaw Fine Jewellery has had a long history of delighting its customers. If it wasn't for Samuel Crane, a silent partner who loaned Frederic & Bertha the money to start up... we wouldn't be here today.
In 1892 Frederick presents the Caretaker of the newly built Cleckheaton Town Hall a solid gold 'master key' at the opening ceremony.
It was then in July 1946 when Co-operative Optician & Chemist Robert purchased the business from Bertha Stansfield following the death of her husband Frederick. Robert introduced an Opticians but Jewellery & Watch sales declined forcing Robert to sell off 4 other shop units on Cheapside that he originally bought along with the business.
In 1964 Robert took on Jeweller Alan Fairbotham who later bought the business with his wife Anne in 1982 following a turnaround of fortunes and Openshaw Opticians having moved onto Market Street by 1975.
1984 Robert Openshaw expands & buy J.W.Hargreaves Jewellers on Queen Street, Morley.
1985 and Robert Openshaw's celebrate 100 years.
2008 saw the business being sold to Alan & Anne's Son in Law Mark. Priority was to fully modernise our showroom and install our own in-store Jewellery workshops. Mark is also a past Yorkshire President of the National Association of Jewellers. To date, we are the longest standing Independent Retailer in Cleckheaton.
In May 2014 the company changed its branding and became known as Robert Openshaw Fine Jewellery, adding a Crane to our company logo in tribute to Samuel Crane.